Baffled

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    B.I.Savage
    Participant

So I was hoping some one with some experience would join in on a baffle discussion.

The two types I have can be seen in the oic below.

The top one sounds cool but leaves the mid range feeling long and less impressive.

Would like to have the most driveability and this seems to be achieved with the bottom one which has a 21 mm I.D. (factory must be 22 or 23mm). Only issue there is that I am overlooked by bicyclists because its too quiet. I have a spare of this type so I was considering playing with it a bit.

Any suggestions?

Vanessa
    Participant

Drill some holes in it, the lower one that is. Ride a bit, drill more holes to make it louder, until you get to a point where you’re happy. You can always plug some of the holes back up with pop rivets if it gets too loud.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Vanessa.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Vanessa.
    B.I.Savage
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Vanessa

Does the placement, closer to the engine, closer to the outlet, or hole diameter make a difference?

Or perhaps slots lengthwise or perpendicular?

I was also wondering of the 1mm smaller diameter vs factory would impact anything…

Vanessa
    Participant

Holes closer to the outlet = louder.

Bigger holes = louder, but bigger holes are harder to plug if you need to, and harder to drill, and weaken the tube more.

Slots are much harder to make, and pretty much impossible to fill unless you weld them back up. Plus they really weaken the tube.

The 1mm diameter difference has a large impact because flow of a gas through a tube is proportional to the square of the radius, so a small change in radius = a large change in gas flow.

The length of tube also has an impact, see the thread on the 401 pages about modifying the stock muffler db killer. I shortened and flared out the dB killer stub on my exhaust to give a bit more bark to my braaap!

B.I.Savage
    Participant

What about holes in the wall next to the tube where it goes through from the chamber to outside, would this make it whistle?

B.I.Savage
    Participant

So, I solved the problems I was having with getting the right sound outta my bike.

After all attempts at making the stock pipe and the Mass pipe the solution was much more simple than I thought.

LeoVince GP One exactly as it comes.

On a side note, I get better fuel mileage with the GP One too…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.