Atl-atl’s Vitpilen 401 thread!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Atl-atl
    Participant

Hey all, new Vitpilen owner here. Located in Phoenix Arizona USA. Just picked up a brand new 2019 Vitpilen 401 for a song from GO AZ Motorcycles in Scottsdale AZ. I think fate brought me to this bike. My username Atlatl is the name of a prehistoric dart/spear/arrow throwing device. Ive used this screen name for years across all sorts of different forums so its only fitting that Im now throwing around a white arrow!

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49647457113_d144071157_c.jpg[/IMG]

I bought the bike as a brand new leftover 2019 with 0 miles. I am literally the only person thats ever ridden it.

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49637329258_144a3ac5f9_c.jpg[/IMG]

Unfortunately on my very first ride, the ride home from the dealership, I arrived to see this as soon as I got off the bike. Turns out I managed to get a plastic bag in the chain which got hung up around the output shaft, heated up and melted, taking the output shaft seal with it. One ride and its back to the dealership already, they picked it up for free which was nice of them. I went by to take a look and confirm with my own eyes and it seems as though there actually was a plastic carryout bag wrapped around the output shaft. One in a million fluke I guess. They are going to warranty it thankfully but they don’t have a seal in stock. Day 4 of ownership and I had the bike in my possession for a whopping 2 hours.

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49647457833_f9945cb239_c.jpg[/IMG]

Atl-atl
    Participant

Looks like 1280×1280 works but I cant seem to link from photo sites like flickr. Anyone able to post the correct coding for me to do this? Thanks!

These are the pics from above, in the same order.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Atl-atl.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Atl-atl.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by phishbed.
    Luwys007
    Participant

dang dude. that sucks id be flipping tables.. lol i hope you get back on the road soon the vit is honestly ridiculously fun.

Atl-atl
    Participant

I almost lost it but thankfully Im a pretty low key person. I showed up at the dealer with all my paperwork in hand, ready to cancel the check I wrote. Would have been bad to make a fool of myself when I showed up and saw it was “my” fault. I still don’t have the bike back but thankfully its been raining for 3 days straight in the desert where it never rains so my mind has been slightly elsewhere. I do have mods already piling up at home though…

Atl-atl
    Participant

FINALLY!!!

Got her back just before the dealership closed for an extended period of time due to coronavirus. Already stripped off the mirrors, monstrosity of a plate/turn signal arm and its associated wiring, left passenger peg, rear passenger grab bar and chain guard. Ive got LEDs for rear turn signals and Im going to make a bracket to mount them and the license plate underneath the brake light. Im half tempted to just hack off the exhaust hanger/right side passenger peg mount but I might spend the money on an actual part or fabricate one. Haven’t yet decided. Probably shaved close to 10lbs already. I think a light battery and cat delete are next in line as soon as Im done breaking in the engine.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Atl-atl.
    Atl-atl
    Participant

9lb 7.6oz worth of weight savings already!

Atl-atl
    Participant

I removed another 5+lbs from the bike. Took off the muffler and right rear passenger peg. Total weight savings so far is just over 16lbs! I think it sounds great with the muffler removed and it looks a lot better too. Im still planning to do a chamber delete and might put a slip-on back on when that happens. As far as it being too loud though, I just sold my Harley that was a straight piped 1200cc motor, it was louder at idle than this bike at full throttle even with the muffler removed so…

Atl-atl
    Participant

Well I have yet another issue. My dealership neglected to register my ECU and take the bike out of “transport mode” and now it wont start. I was cruising, enjoying the ride, stopped and shut the bike off to do some things and when I went to start it up, nothing. Everything seemed fine, lights are on etc. except that nothing would happen when I pressed the start button. So I undid the battery for a while, checked the fuses, tried every variation of switch and idea I could come up with and nothing. So I started googling and it sounds like the bike ran out of its allotted time in transport mode and is now in “transport lock.” Thankfully the bike will still run with a bump start so I was able to get home.

I have now owned the bike for 14 days and 10 of them have been spent either in the dealership or unable to ride. The worst part, all the dealerships are closed indefinitely because of corona virus. So I have no idea when I’ll be able to get it fixed. Im about to wire up a semi-permanent/temporary wire from the battery to the start button to the starter bypassing the ECU. Frustrated to say the least.

Atl-atl
    Participant

Alright, finally got the bike back. They got it fixed Monday and I put 100 miles on it yesterday, all is well. I think it was a case of multiple unlucky situations with a little poor tech-training on the dealers part sprinkled in there. Now that it has about 200 miles on it, its time to start wringing its neck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.