Any known lowering options or mods for the 701?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am 5’4 and 120lb and am looking at the 701 but I can barely touch my tippy toes to the ground with this bike. Even though I am very fit there will be no way to ride this bike in the city traffic without ensuring a goofy looking yoga workout. Anyone have luck with finding a lowering kit or doing mods to make it work for them around my same height?

Participant

Roxy, dropping the front can be done for zero dollars by moving the fork legs up on the clamps but it won’t give you much. Also at your weight you’ll be taking out all of the preload which will make your bike sag a little more than one your test fitting in the dealership.  It may net you about 3/4″ total.  I’m around 5-8 with short legs and a long torso so we probably have a similar inseam. (30 inch~) I find the bike just fine but I usually only put one leg down at a time.  I would not have been confident doing that as a beginner.  Have you been riding long?

Participant

That’s part of the issue, it would be my first bike. A tall feat for a shorter person to handle… I am a 30 inseam too. I ride and have been trained to only drop my left foot. I figured on dropping the front shocks but do worry about the change in ergonomics and breaking all for very little lowering. Did you find it changed the bikes ride noticeably?

ScubadubbersScubadubbers
    Participant

Suspension is one of the most important things to get right on a bike.  I wouldn’t lower the bike in my opinion.

Check out “Dave Moss Tuning” on YouTube for a professional opinion.

Participant

I haven’t done the fork drop on mine yet. Just saying that you can.  It will make the bike a little quicker steeing. I have done it on many other bikes for that reason. To an experienced/aggressive rider its a subtle advantage but probably not noticeable to a beginner. I have never experienced a radical or unstable result from this.  The 701 may not be your best choice as a first bike as a short rider. Unless someone knows of a more radical solution than my suggestion. The width at the front of the seat is really what causes the issue.  The light weight is really good but I feel that flat footed confidence is a big benefit when just starting out. It was for me. my first bike was way too tall and even with years of off road experience it was unsettling getting used to street riding that way.  I only rode that bike for one season before buying a shorter bike.

Also these bikes are way to pretty to drop.

Disclaimer: not a pro, just a guy with a bike and a keyboard like everybody else…

Participant

You can get a different rear link that will drop the rear.
    https://www.koubalinks.com/husqvarna/701-vit

if you then pull the forks up through the triple tree the same amount that should gain an inch

probably best to get it fitted and then get suspension professionally adjusted for your weight and riding style.

Participant

Hey Roxyfoxy, i’m pretty much the exact same measurments as you and I ended up throwing a koubalink lowering link on my Vit701. Still not flat footed but 100% more confident when coming up to stops and can shift from foot to foot fairly easily. I did drop the forks a bit but I feel its unnecessary, the stock suspension settings work well for me but i’m bias towards an aggressive style so ask your local dealer or friend to recommend new settings that fit what you’re looking for. Hope this helps! (:

heres the link for the link lol

https://www.koubalinks.com/husqvarna/701-vit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.