Aftermarket Rear Shock Options?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

I just picked up a 2019 vit 401 this week and am eager to upgrade the rear shock to something that’s more adjustable and higher quality. And quite frankly I don’t care for the bright white look of the stock shock.

That said, I’m not finding any aftermarket shocks made specifically “for” the vit 401, but am aware that certain rear shocks made for the RC390 will fit. With all that said, I do have some questions that I’m hoping someone here can answer:

1. Has anyone put together a list of aftermarket rear shocks that are a guaranteed fit on the vit 401?
    2. If I decide to try a RC390 shock, is there a specific year I should search for in order for it to be compatible with my 2019 vit (e.g. 2018+ RC390 model year).

Thanks in advance!

In case anyone else is interested, I found a rear shock for the vit 401 made by Nitron. You can purchase it online from mnnthbx.com or if you’re willing to wait a couple weeks Nitron will also be opening up their own online store for direct purchase.

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

I put a HyperPro shock on my 401, all is good so far here’s a review of the shock: https://ridermagazine.com/2013/05/07/hyperpro-motorcycle-shock-and-fork-springs-review/

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

I put a HyperPro shock on my 401, all is good so far here’s a review of the shock: https://ridermagazine.com/2013/05/07/hyperpro-motorcycle-shock-and-fork-springs-review/

@rod frost

Looks great man! Nice to know there are other options out there with good reviews.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I love the look of that shock with the remote adjuster. Sadly I doubt I have the skill or experience to tell the difference (or be able to exploit it) between a shock like this and the stock one. Additionally on my bike I have the lowering kit fitted which includes the shorter rear spring, so changing that would most likely mess things up.

Ooh, do you have any pics with the lowering kit on? Always wanted to see what it looked like. @vanessa

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

@Madmensch If you go to the Svartpilen 401 Gallery section, and look for the thread called “Vanessa’s Svartpilen” you can see plenty of pictures and details of my bike. For me, the lowering kit (and the price reduction) was what enabled me to get the bike, because in stock ride height it was too high for me. I’ve experienced no problems with the lowering kit, so can certainly recommend it.

Participant

I bought the Nitron R2 for my vitpilen 401, it has not arrived yet but it was custom build for me including weight, riding style and I specd it out so at full height it’s stock length and I can lower it from there. I also got the grey spring instead of the blue.  bikehps had the best price

JordanJordan
    Participant

Alot of the Duke 390 guys put the stock coilover from an R6 on theirs. There’s a guy on the duke 390 forums that makes a bushing kit (link below) to make them compatible to our bikes and the 390s (same same). Their forum shows the years of R6’s with coil-overs that are compatible. I guess they are more adjustable and can be set a little stiffer than our stock set up. I found one on ebay for about $40 (USD), and the bushing kit is cheap too. $50-$70 for that kind of a setup seems like a better way to go than dropping big money on an aftermarket one (especially considering our bikes are relatively inexpensive to begin with).

http://www.formula390.com/parts.pl?D=suspension

Participant

has anyone confirm if RC390 shocks will work fine with Vitpilen? I’m looking at 2nd hand stuff.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.