Adjusting the Rear Spring Preload

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar NeoRetro 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NeoRetro
    Participant

Has anyone adjusted the preload for their weight, and any tips if you did. Or did your dealer adjust the rear spring preload when you took delivery of the bike?

TC
    Participant

Yes, I made mine a couple of clicks stiffer. It’s in the manual how to do it but the combination of quite fiddly positioning and the clicker being very stiff made it a much harder thing to do than it should be!

TC
    Participant

Oh sorry, preload. No the dealer set it up for me.

Sparvel
    Sparvel
    Participant

For a newbie … what is the purpose of change it? Is it depending on my weight or road/of road driving?

Razvan Turtureanu
    Participant

With the spring preload you adjust the SAG number, witch, as a rule of thumb, should be 2/3 of your suspension travel when you sit on the bike. In the case of the 701 the number is about 90 mm (for 135 mm of back suspension travel).

So, you measure from the back wheel axle to the “VITPILEN” writing on the tail, with no load on the bike (A), and then you get on the bike, in full gear, and have a friend take the same measurement (B), and do the math.

A – B sould be around 90 mm. If it’s larger than 90 you should decrease the prealod, and the opposite if A-B is lower than 90. Re do the B measurement every time you change the preaload, and once in a while…

Regards.

Razvan Turtureanu
    Participant

I’m sorry guys… I made a mistake. the SAG number is 1/3 of max suspension travel, so, in the case of the 701 it should be around 45 mm.

So, when you do the math, A-B,  45mm is the number you should be aiming at when you ajust the SAG.

regards.

Sparvel
    Sparvel
    Participant

Thanks Razvan for the explanation! Where can I find the measurements for max suspension travel for the 401?

Razvan Turtureanu
    Participant

On the official Husqvara website the spec is 142mm front and 150mm back suspention travel. So the number is 150mm, so, in tis chase your back SAG nunmber is 50mm.

Regards.

Spark
    Spark
    Participant

If the bike is correctly tuned to the rider and the rear suspension sags 1/3rd of full travel, what would that make the seat height?  I am on the short side of average and would be thrilled if the seat height with my weight was around 30-31″ (762-787mm).  Cycle-Ergo shows I might be on my toes.Rider Ergonomics

NeoRetro
    Participant

Thanks Razvan, I measured my sag and it was something like 40 mm so I’ll just leave it. I weigh about 170lbs with gear, so my guess is that it’s set for a 180lb rider.

I did change the rebound on the shock absorber so that it’s on the sport setting. First impression is that it feels a lot better to me. The adjusting screw is a bit hard to reach and it’s hard to figure out how much of a turn equates to a click. I think it ended up being about 2-3 clicks for a full revolution of the screw. Does that sounds right to anyone who has adjusted it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.