Adjusting Shock Preload

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar alukban 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    LifeCycle
    Participant

So, I backed the thing all the way out just messing with the adjustments but I don’t want it to stay there…  I want it to be around 6 or 7 clicks. The previous owner backed it down from 5 (stock setting) to 1. I did the one click like a dummy and now I can’t put preload back in due to the weight of the bike sitting on the shock. Any ideas as to how I can do this myself? I need to take the weight off the rear tire to I can tighten the clicker. Wondering what I can set the bike on rather than the wheel and how to do it.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

Daniel Taylor
    Participant

what if it is on the stand?

LifeCycle
    Participant

Yeah, it’s on the kick stand while I try to adjust it. Unless you’re referring to something else?

logikk
    Participant

@lifecycle I think a rear stand would do the trick? This is the one I have and is the cheapest one I know of:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/lifts-cranes-stands/motorcycle-stands/motorcycle-swingarm-rear-stand-65620.html

Fred from france
    Fred from france
    Participant

you stand on the side of the side stand and you pull the bike towards you slowly with your hand on the seat. you will see the rear will lift.

It s more easy to adjuste because there is less load on the rear shock.

It s easier with 2 people 🤪

LifeCycle
    Participant

Wow, that’s a good deal! I wondered why they are dang pricey!!! That seems reasonable! Thank you!!!

logikk
    Participant

No problem! I got it after I saw JohnnyLighting post about it on here. Putting it on the stand by yourself is a little tough because you need to both hold onto the bike so it doesn’t tip and push the stand’s handle to the floor. I’ve done it a couple times though.

LifeCycle
    Participant

Thanks for the pic! Going to pick one up here in a few minutes!

LifeCycle
    Participant

Alright, I got it! Will give it a go later tonight!

logikk
    Participant

@lifecycle you’re welcome! How’d it go? I want to try adjusting mine at some point as well.

LifeCycle
    Participant

I haven’t tried it yet! LOL too many girls in my life! I’ll get to it tonight or tomorrow! I promise!

Oh yeah, I also had my motorcycle safety course over the weekend. Aced it! Was definitely worth it and really educational.

logikk
    Participant

lol no rush! And yeah, I really enjoyed my MSF course. 10/10 would rip around a parking lot on a Honda Grom again.

ichbinbier
    Participant

Placing the bike on the stand will not change the weight on the rear shock.
    It is the weight from above the shock that places the pressure on the shock.
    If it is tight I would spray the adjustment ring with some silicon/e spray the make it easier to spin.
    That being said I have not had a problem adjusting the shock by myself.
    Sitting on the ground with one foot against the rear tire (either side depending which way I am turning it) for leverage then turning the ring.

alukban
    Participant

I assume it is turned  CCW (lengthen spring) for a lighter rider?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.