ABS CAN FAILURE – intermittent message.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  galavoxx 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Has anyone gotten intermittent “ABS CAN FAILURE” messages on the console? My dealership said it is nothing to worry about, that the ABS just needs some time to build up pressure. That explanation seems a bit bogus to me, so I would appreciate some feedback from the community.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by ThemSheeps ThemSheeps.

TarrynB
    Participant

Hi there
    I’m new here, but not new to biking (Enduro / Offroad / Adventure) and having a GS F800 and not wanting to put all that mileage on the BMW with riding to work and back, I decided to buy a smaller commute bike (but also one that looks SUPER COOL)!

So, I bought my 401 Svartpilen about 3 w eeks ago … been happy with it and with no faults or errors, until I started getting the ABS flashing light which would come on randomly, whether riding fast or slow, up or down hills etc.  Yesterday I saw a warning light appear but missed the exact wording of it, until this morning I was able to catch the error … CAN ABS FAILURE.

I queried the dealer I bought her from, and they said I should take her in for a diagnostic and if a fault to have it repaired under warranty.  I can only get there on friday though, will keep you updated.

PS: Your answer seems a bit “not what you want to hear’ish”.

Regards

Tarryn

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  TarrynB.
    ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Hey,  Tarryn.

Did you get any more feedback from the dealer about this? I would like to have some info before I raise this with my dealership again.

Kind regards,

Johan

TarrynB
    Participant

Hi Johan

I unfortunately only got an opportunity to take the bike to the dealer on Monday as I was on leave and the qualified Husqvarna 401 mechanic was too.

They contacted the Husqvarna Principal dealer / technical resource in JHB a week prior to that and he gave them a list of a few things to verify/check, one being the ABS wheel sensors.

I will however give a rundown of all that was found and done, when I get her back, and if it solved the problem.  I received the error again on the way there the morning, gearing down approaching a traffic light.

I also reported the fuel gauge, which I filled to the plate that morning, but which was showing only ¾ full as well as a knocking sound when changing gears and the shocks compress and release, that could possibly be the fuel that I had filled that morning, as I have not heard it in a little while – but would rather have them verify.  I could reproduce the sound by compressing the shocks with them there.

The mechanic did mention something of the head/neck that has been found to loosen slightly, but will check and verify.

Regards

TarrynB
    Participant

Hi Johan

I received the bike back on Friday, after the dealer did a number of things on recommendation of Husqvarna SA (listed below), but unfortunately yesterday on my way home pulling off from a traffic light, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree again with the same error.

So, I was told this morning by the dealer in KZN from whom I bought the bike, to ask the dealer here in CPT to order a replacement CAN ABS sensor under warranty.

I will proceed with that then and keep you updated.

– Run diagnostics and faults
    – Check wiring connections
    – Test wheel pickup speeds
    – Test ABS Working

Cheers
    Tarryn

TarrynB
    Participant

PS: One thing I am happy about is the fact that they DO PICKUP the error in the error logs when running the diagnostics, as I have been unable to capture it on my phone since it started.  I felt somewhat as if a liar for getting it all the time, especially since they have been unable to reproduce it themselves, even after 40kms of testing.

🙂

TarrynB
    Participant

Hi

The error has been more frequent now, almost occurring on every ride, and every day.  The bike goes back on Monday for at least another 2 – 3 days   🙁 🙁

Regards

Tarryn

ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Yeah – My dealer also picks up the error. Sorry to hear about the frequency of the error increasing.

I am taking in my bike next week for more diagnostic, and to see if they can replace the ABS CAN sensor. I have experimented with emergency stopping while the error is displayed, and it seems as if the ABS still works fine, but I hate the uncertainty of wondering if the ABS is 100% when I will need it in an emergency.

Cheers,

Johan

TarrynB
    Participant

Hi Johan
    Thank you for the update, please also keep me updated on what is done your side and if it resolves the error.

My bike was fetched this morning, and is currently at the dealer (again), for more diagnostics and tests with Husqvarna SA dialed in via TeamViewer.

I am unfortunately not comfortable riding it especially not on a freeway at 120km/h with that error popping up at random.  I do not want to be in that situation at speed, guessing about the ABS and whether it will work or not before emergency braking, first having to check on the display if the error is flashing or not … so my travelling on the bike has been somewhat inhibited and limited to short urban riding only  :(!

Very unfortunate.

Regards
    Tarryn

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  TarrynB. Reason: Spelling
    ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Hi.

Finally got some feedback w.r.t. the ABS CAN FAILURE message.

Apparently there is a software update that Husqvarna will be releasing in the next few weeks to fix this problem. When the software update is released you will need to take the bike to a Husqvarna dealership to update the bike with the latest firmware to fix the issue.

I was given assurance that the ABS is not faulty and will work as designed even if the error appears on the console.

Kind regards,

Johan

TarrynB
    Participant

Hi Johan

Thank you, yes, that was initiated after my bike went in again on the 14th October :).

After further testing and troubleshooting they were initially going to replace the display but a day later the factory confirmed that this is definitely a software issue and that they will be developing a firmware update to address it.

I followed up in this week, and was told it should be done by next week.  I also complained about the fuel range which is all over the place, and they (Stefan from Husqvarna SA) confirmed that the Firmware update would address that too.  I’ll copy his reply below.

Let’s hold thumbs, and thanks for confirming that the ABS is NOT affected throughout the error condition.

Good to know!

Regards

Tarryn

TarrynB
    Participant

“The factory is busy with new software for the 401 clusters. RND is busy testing the new software and we will have it soon. I’m sure we will have it within the next week or so. Your XC_1 diagnostic tool will update with the new software and we can flash the dash for the client.  The new software will fix this issue (fuel range indicator) and ABS CAN errors.”

Cheers

galavoxx
    Participant

Thanks for posting. This is great information.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.