5.50″ aftermarket wheel on rear

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone put a 5.5 inch aftermarket wheel on the back of their 701?

Seems most aftermarket wheels that I am interested in are 5.5″ width.  The stock 701 wheel width is 5.0″.

Thanks

QwandreeQwandree

Yes it has been done. A forum member put rotobox carbon wheels on (5.5 rear) with a 180 tire. He said there was no issues with fitment or mods needed for chain clearance or anything. And that he thought the handling was similar to the stock 160.

He’s not been around lately to my knowledge. His 701 was looking very trick tho.

QwandreeQwandree

Also for what it’s worth, I talked to dymag earlier in the year when I was looking to do a wheel conversion to save some more weight. They can make a 5.0 rear in forged magnesium but they are definitely pricey. They look quite cool in a retro GP sort of way though.

Dymag was the only place I found that could do a lighter wheel and keep the 160 rear.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Wow! Amazing looking wheel! I do love 3-spoke wheels. I wonder how much a set would cost?

QwandreeQwandree

I was quoted £2800 plus VAT. They are cast custom and was told 3 months to make……

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Yeah… I went to the website and had a look. Their motorcycle wheels start at almost £1000 each. On a bike that cost £4K new, that’s probably not a worthwhile investment. Pity as they look fab. I wonder what the weight difference is between the spoked 401 wheels and the cast alloy optional ones I put on my bike? Husqvarna say they are ‘lightweight’ but don’t qualify that with actual details.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by VanessaVanessa.
    Participant

I am also very interested in the feasibility to fit a 5.5 magnesium wheel into 701’s swingarm without rubbing his the tire. Another Bridgestone tire Battlax Touring Sport T31 (170/60ZR17) has the same width 165mm as that of the stock tire Battlax Hypersport S21 (160/60ZR17) and hence may be an option. While S21 fits 4.5-5.0” rims, T31 Suits for 4.5-5.5” rims. In my case, I haven’t made up my mind to go for a set of magnesium wheels yet. If I do, Marchesini M7R Genesi looks pretty good to me, and the design is 7-spoke. I like the coincidence of the number with 701. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.