401 won't start

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ewal 1 day, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

ewal
    Participant

Just bought a Svartpilen 401. Under 200mi, and  I am loving it! However, Today the check engine light went on and  after parking it simply would not start. After switching the key on, all the lights illuminated as normal and the fuel pump switched on as it should. After pressing the start button, I heard a relay click and that’s it. The starter didn’t turn.  After a time the relay clicked again. 3/4 tank of gas. I tried opening the cap to relieve any airlock, disconnected the battery and reconnected, checked all of the fuses under the seat. I also pulled the relay and reinstalled. I am looking for where to start troubleshooting. The dealer is about an hour and a half away and moves at a glacial pace, so if there is some things to test before I trailer the thing down there I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

rlarue
    rlarue
    Participant

This might sound obvious, but are you definitely in neutral? If so and it’s still not starting up then hop on, put your kickstand up, and shift to 1st and then start it up while holding the clutch in. If that does the trick then either something might be up with your kickstand or transmission. Some people have had issues with the magnet on the kickstand so that could be it. If none of that works grab a can and fill the tank up to full and try again.

Hope it’s something simple like that. A new bike shouldn’t have battery or spark plug issues.

ewal
    Participant

It is definitely in neutral. I also tried putting it in first and trying it that way. The kickstand warning goes away when I put the stand up, so I can only imagine it is operating as it should.  I will try topping off the gas to see if that works…. Anything else to try?

rlarue
    rlarue
    Participant

Did you bump your kill switch by accident? It might be engaged even if you didn’t. Flip it on and off just to make sure something isn’t wrong there.

WeaponX
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hey I’m having the exact same issue only without the check engine prompt.  Fired up and rode fine yesterday but not working today.  I too am also trying to avoid hauling this to the shop at all cost right now.</p>
    I was able to do a bump start and let it run for a while but it wouldn’t fire up again for me after I turned it off. I’ll post if I figure something else out and hope you’ll do the same!

redlongarms
    Participant

Just came back from a half hour ride. The ride got a lot shorter than planned because of the exact same problem you mention. The bike had been unused for 3 weeks and the first push on the starter almost worked but then it died completely just giving clicking sounds (display working). After trying several times and me running in to check the manual with no success it then suddenly worked after approximately 30 minutes. But then with the warning light on saying something was wrong with the electronics. So I turned it off and on again a few times, thinking that I should give up and call the dealer. The starter worked good but the warning wouldnt disappear. The last startup however gave no lights and I decided to go for a ride after all. Everything seemed fine then.

Hope it starts again tomorrow. Its quite a mystery but it is / was definetly something wrong with the electronics.

I have read quite a few comments here and I seem to remember one guy saying that he solved the exact problem by charging the battery?

Macloven
    Participant

Sounds like battery to me. Give it a charge and see if solved. Had a bad battery on my old Grom and caused all sorts of issues solved with a $50 battery replacement.

ewal
    Participant

Interesting about the battery. I did have it on the charger all night to no avail. I always figured if you had 12v you were good to go.  I’ve been flipping the kill switch on and off hoping it was the culprit but I think no, I get a message on the dash when the switch is off. I adjusted the clutch so there was about 3/16 freeplay hoping the safety switch there was at fault.   Nope…

I took a deeper look around the bike today looking for bad connections, they all looked fine

I didn’t think bump starts/pop stars were possible on new bikes? I think I will give that a shot

Samson
    Participant

It’s not the battery.  This happened to me about two weeks ago.  Your starter relay is toast.  I’m almost positive thats whats they told me but to be sure I can check with them Tuesday when they open and let you know.   I went to start mine and I could hear two clicks separated by about 3 seconds or so.  Tested the battery at the time and it was fine.  Luckily I was able to push start it with the help of one of my co workers to take it back to my dealer.  They diagnosed the problem and replaced the starter relay(I think) and that was around 400 miles on my bike.  The part that you are hearing click is a little black oval type box on the left side of your battery.  You will need to remove the left panel to access it.  This is one of five things that have malfunctioned on my bike and to be honest I’m starting to get frustrated.  Check engine light for no reason was the first round, then ABS Failure, instrument cluster failed(needed update supposedly), ABS Failure again so they replaced the instrument cluster thinking that was the issue and now my fuel gauge is not registering at all.  It says error when I start the bike.  So now they said they need to replace the fuel pump because its all tied together with the gauge in the tank.  It bites because I really like the bike, but if this many things has gone wrong in the first month of me owning a brand new bike then there are bound to be more problems to come.  At this rate this bike should carry a 5 year warranty!

Oh yea and to bump start your bike you have to pop the clutch and press the start button at the same time while sitting on it.  I got mine started in 2nd gear at about 6 mph.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Samson.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Samson.

ewal
    Participant

Thanks for all the input everyone, it is thoroughly appreciated! I will try to pop start it today, maybe through some sort of magic, the system will right itself….. Honestly though, there is no good reason for this. Just crappy parts and poor QC.

I will be bringing this thing in this week, and will post the diagnosis. Thanks again!

Samson
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>So yea it was the starter relay on my bike.  Did you end up figuring out yours yet?</p>

ewal
    Participant

Well, not really. I brought it to the shop. They reset the obd and it started right up. I guess it locked out due to too many codes.

I kept stalling, (The clutch engages really far out. On a side note I am interested in a fix for this.) Each time I stalled,  a stall code was written as well as a crankshaft position and I think another.

Their description on the work order was the computer was confused……

Not really valid.

Nonetheless, I got it back Friday and it’s been fine.

Any thoughts on reeling that clutch lever in anybody?

ewal
    Participant

So, same issue this weekend. But after a while it decided to start. Took it for a 60mi ride and it was flawless despite the check engine light being on. I didn’t dare turn it off during the ride, but when I got home I was able to kill it and then restart.

I hate electric problems….

I am looking for a way to read/clear the error codes myself. Can any one recommend a decent reader and the appropriate plug?

redlongarms
    Participant

Bummer! May I ask if the bike had been idle for a while?

MarcD
    Participant

This happened to mine in the 1st week of owning… As said above, starter solenoid is toast.

To get it going we hooked a wire to the starter motor and just touched it to the +ve side of the battery and it fires up. The wire stays dead so I was able to tuck it away with some tape around it, just incase I stalled so I can start it again, and off I went to the dealers for a warranty solenoid. 20 minute replacement.

The engine light stays on for 3 rides if it’s just a voltage query BTW, but it’s probably telling you the start up voltage is no good from the solenoid. (mine was anyway until the solenoid actually died)

I’m also waiting for a new fuel sensor replacement (like Samson is above) and have had the CAN ABS failure warning, but that cleared itself and it only pops up on rough ground now. I’m sure Husqvarna will sort the teething troubles out, the bike runs great after the 1st service though. The garage set my clutch real far out too on that service making me stall it a bit, so I just gave the lever a bit of play back with the adjuster and it’s all cool now.

Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.