25% extra braking power? RLY?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Max Kool
    Participant

Oh hey hello, I just recently joined. New owner of a Vitpilen 701. Quick question, Husky sells a front rotor that’s supposed to give 25% extra stopping power. Something I find hard to believe. It’s just a Galfer, in the same diameter. Nothing wrong with Galfer rotors, but apart from the wave pattern, I don’t understand. Can anyone compare? I love good brakes, but I don’t care for wave rotors just for the sake of it…

(meanwhile I ordered the Brembo SC pads, to get bit better brake feel)

SpeedHoles
    Participant

Unless it has a larger diameter, or a larger surface area (would also require matching larger pad), then I don’t see how it could increase stopping “power” by that large percentage.
    It could shed debris and possibly shed heat quicker, being the wave, but other than that I am with you in not really liking wave rotors.

Other than physically increasing mechanical advantage, you could do a more aggressive pad, but that always comes with compromise such as dust, squeal, and wear.

Max Kool
    Participant

Yeah, I though so, they look cool and all, but I wonder what it actually adds.

Talking about pads, I replaced the stock pads with Brembo SC pads (“race pads” fwiw). Model number is 07BB19SC and that does make a significant difference. Better modulation imho and more stopping power.

SpeedHoles
    Participant

Nice, please give us a review on the pads once you get some time on them!

I actually had low expectations for this bike with the single front brake, but probably with it being so light, I think it does really well for the brakes it has!

Max Kool
    Participant

First impressions: after initial scrub-in, they’re noticeably better than the stock ones. Which felt hard to me. These feel softer and give better bite and modulation, even on cold rotors. Added bonus: they hiss…

As on many bikes, upgrading the brake pads are a significant improvement.

Will keep us updated once I rack up more miles.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Max Kool.
    Qwandree

I have those pads on my 701. They are far better than oem.

SpeedHoles
    Participant

Good to hear the feedback! I’ll have to put them on the list of eventual upgrades once the time comes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.