2020 UK Svartpilen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    LordFlasheart
    Participant

LordFlasheart
    Participant

David Brazil
    Participant

Curious what exhaust bracket you used on the exhaust. My understanding is that the OEM bracket will not work with the full exhaust replacement you have.

Does the exhaust interfere with your heel? Any contact there?

Thanks.

LordFlasheart
    Participant

The Duke 690 Akrapovic does not line up with the stock exhaust hanger but I cut 30mm out of the link pipe which brings into line nicely. So far no issues with my heel touching the end can in this position.

David Brazil
    Participant

Interesting idea.

I have the same exhaust and have designed and 3d printed a replacement that doesn’t have me remove material from the pipe, but there is significant issues with contact with the heel of my boot, and I’ve had to redesign the bracket several times to try and rotate the pipe away from the boot area.

You removed material from the section that inserts into the initial silencer (original cat) or from where it just inserts into the secondary silencer (at the end of the exhaust)?

If you are able, it’d be great to see a pix where you have some close-ups, esp if you are in riding position. To me, and from what I’ve seen in my exp, that would bring the silencer right into my heel. I’m not sure why you are not experiencing the same issue, and it would be great to see why that is.

Good idea with the section removal.

Thanks.Duke Exhaust hanger

David Brazil
    Participant

Also, I’m looking at the two pictures of both the bikes, and I’m seeing my exhaust silencer is quite a bit higher than yours – the tip of mine is about at the height of the top of the tire, while yours is closer to the center of the wheel.

Did you have to lever it down quite a bit to get it into the hanger? If I recall, this exhaust also wanted to be more outbound than the std exhaust and the bracket had to be designed to extend the exhaust bracket attachment point out a few cm from the std.

No interference with the swingarm or shock mechanism?

Very intrigued how this works. Any info or pictures would be appreciated.

Cheers.

LordFlasheart
    Participant

At first fitting the Akra is high and spaced away from the bike. Cutting 30mm out of the pipe linking the mid and end cans brings it lower and tucks it in. This let’s me use stock hanger and clear my boot heel. You can see where I made the cut in this pic:

LordFlasheart
    Participant

LordFlasheart
    Participant

David Brazil
    Participant

Thanks for the pic. I anticipated you removed the material from one of the ends, not the middle. Now it makes sense.

Did you weld it back up together? I think it’s Ti and needed a special weld. True?

Thanks again.

LordFlasheart
    Participant

This section (along with the header) is just Stainless steel) just got it welded at local garage. Taking it out of the middle allows you to move it in three planes, so you can just match it up to almost any position/angle you like.

David Brazil
    Participant

Brilliant.

Thanks for the info.

David Brazil
    Participant

Your first pic looks like it doesn’t quite match up exactly – is this after removal of the 30mm or just after the first cut? Did you have problems with fit after welding or was there enough play in the system to get it to work?

After 4 rounds of redesign and 3D printing, I’ve taken the pipe outbound as much as I think I should, and STILL get heel touching if I slide my boot back at all (which I do when I’m cruising easy).

I think I have to do your process to get it all the way out of the way. Any hints or advise?

Cheers.

LordFlasheart
    Participant

In the photo where I made the cut you can see it does not line up quite square, I spent a bit of time grinding it to match up. I also ended up using a 10mm spacer on the exhaust hanger bolt. Once cut and welded there is a bit of room to twist and turn the position.

Good luck.

David Brazil
    Participant

I appreciate the info. I’m just about to get it into the shop to cut and weld.

30mm is the number to remove? or would you go a little more or a little less?

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.