2020 401 differences from 2018/2019

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So….I bought a 2019 Vit 401 and a 2020 Svart 401 to develop parts for them and am running into some surprising differences between them. The 2019 I have is an Austrian built bike, the 2020 built in India.

1. Entire exhuast configuration (obviously). Even the muffler uses a different flange. 2020 can be converted to 2019 if you replace everything from the cylinder head back. Actual muffler hanger point is the same between both, so passenger peg delete works fine on both.

2. All body, including tank cover sides and center has a different spacing. You can not mount a earlier body on a 2020. Not even the tank luggage rack. This was quite surprising, and begged the question..Why? Do not buy the alternate body panels or blank body panels if you want to put them on the 2020. They will not fit.

3. 2020 has a metal gas tank, 2019 plastic

4. foot pegs use a very nice and precise splined pin on the 2019, 2020 is a pretty slop drop in pin with just a washer and cotter pin.

5. rear luggage rack from 2019 svart will not fit a 2020 (because of the longer subframe).

6. All hardware on the 2019 is torx, all 2020 is allen head and not as nice hardware

7. swingarm and cylinder head on 2019 is nicely finished, 2020 is pretty thickly painted or powdercoated black, and not nearly as nice.

8. Thing like the airbox cover say KTM on the 2019…not so on the 2020.

9. Handlebars on the 2020 have a glued in threaded plug in the end, making mirror choices a little more limited. 2019 is hollow, with very nicely machined inserts.

10. Many of the screw threads in the 2020 are pretty tight/rough, not threaded well. Rubber nutserts used on the gauge cluster were totally overtorqed and destroyed, side panel rear fixing grommet was very sloppy on one side. Nearly every bolt on the 2020 has a witness paint mark on it showing it was “torqued” correctly (kinda feels like someone was having their homework graded). Many pieces of the mounting hardware under the seat are very nicely machined on the 2019, 2020 has just basic bolts and washers. Hardware holding the muffler on is nicer on the 2019 than the 2020.

11. Little things like the triangle plastic cover over the blinker relay under the headstalk are different on the 2020 and the plastic has very sharp edges on the 2020. It will cut you, if you don’t pay attention.

Overall the fit and finish of the 2019 is more similar to a fine Swiss watch. A truly thoughtfully assembled piece of machinery with no expense spared on bits and pieces and incredible attention to detail. The 2020 is just a “standard” bike and what you would expect, nothing more, nothing less. If you didn’t spend a lot of time with your hands working with both the early and late bikes, you would never know the difference.

There are very nice features on the 2020 that nearly or entirely make up for the other differences. The 2020 adjustable dampers alone are incredible and the fit and finish on the WP parts is flawless. The black 2020 spoked wheels and black muffler details on the 2020 are very nicely  done.

The purist or collector side of me loves the 2019. If I were to just sit and look at the bike instead of ride it, the 2019 is it, hands down. The realist in me says that anyone intending to actually ride the bike a lot will find great advantage in the 2020. From 1 foot away, the fit and finish of both bikes is equal on both bikes. I have found no real flaws on either bike, and am completely satisfied with the build quality on both. Only until you get things under a microscope will you notice the exceptional quality of the 2019. In a parking lot or going down the road, both bikes will gather a ton of attention.

Just my opinion, but the 2020 graphics and paint finish are a bit more high end looking than the earlier bikes. More grown up and refined, but also a bit more subdued. The finish seems to be a bit tougher as well.

Participant

Great info!  Thanks for taking the time to list it all out like this.  Sounds like the price drop was attributed to savings in manufacturing and parts in some areas.

Participant

Dude, great job assembling this information. Thanks

B.I.SavageB.I.Savage
    Participant

I saw some pics of the 2020 bikes and it looks like the ABS rings that attach to the brake discs are silver colored vs the 2019 black color.

Is this a painted silver color or a bare metal?

Perhaps an improvement for ABS signal?

Participant

Do you think the plastic rear indicator mounts from the 2020 model will fit on the earlier years?

I am almost certain that they will as the manufacturer of the tail tidy I purchased has said it will fit on all model years so the mounting holes in the frame must be identical. I compared a 2020 model to my own and the holes in the plastic appear to be the same too. The staff at the local dealer said they had no idea and didn’t offer to check for me. The wiring ins’t an issue as I have already re routed the wiring harness to the tail tidy and indicators are a pretty standard fitment type, it would make no sense for them to alter the front parts as well.

These are the parts I am referring to and would need to purchase; https://sparepartsfinder.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/ SVARTPILEN 401 2020 <2020><EU><F1303T5> Lighting System

28 – 28114236010 – Blinkerholder tail right IN – x 1
    29 – 28114236020 – Blinkercover tail right IN – x 1
    30 – 28114235010 – Blinkerholder tail left IN – x 1
    31 – 28114235020 – Blinkercover tail left IN – x 1
    32 – J081040121 – CROSS PAN SCREW 4X12 PH – x 2
    33 – 28103002040 – Bushing turn signal bracket – x 4
    34 – J031080206 – Roundhead screw, M8x20 – x 4

The reason for this is that mounting the indicators so low down was simply dangerous design. A lot of car drivers either cannot see them or just choose not to look. I already moved mine to a tail tidy but would prefer them on the body because it looks neater. I don’t like the wiring which is too bulky to fit through the hole properly and I may wish to re fit rear mudguard again in winter. There is also a potential issue of a gap right where the air intake is. If you are riding on wet and gritty roads a significant amount of water and dirt could find its way into the air-filter and i imagine the standard paper one could then split.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatarmrlm.
    Participant

Mrlm,

I used the Wunderkind rear signals (found the name on the forum).  They retain the tidy look on the bike and work very well.

Participant

I would prefer to keep closer to standard and personally I think the 2020 bike is exactly how it should have looked anyway. Some indicators I have seen would not pass UK MoT tests due to the placement width. Those Wunderkind ones look like they might just be Ok but even with Husqvarna excessive pricing all I really need are four small pieces of plastic, I would be shocked if that costs me £100.

If I put them on the back I would have to swap the front ones as well, it would annoy me with them being different.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatarmrlm.
    Participant

“Rubber nutserts used on the gauge cluster were totally overtorqed and destroyed”

This is true on my 2020 Svartpilen. The bolt on the right side (one of the four you need to remove to put on the headlight protector) just turns forever, in either direction. You can pull it out much of the way with pliers but then it snaps back in like a rubber band. I’m hesitant to yank it out forcibly since I’m worried I’ll never get the new bolt to stay in once the headlight protector is fitted.

FG1911FG1911
    Participant

“Rubbernutserts”

So was with mine. It kept loosening and that protector is quite a rattler when loose. It is so annoying. I was able to buy a replacement blind plug nut but haven’t installed them yet. No time for my bike right now.

Also, another ugly difference between ‘19 & ‘20 is the crossbar. The new crossbar is welded. Although the weld bead is perfect, I think the clamped version looks better. But that is ok, I might soon replace them because I want a lesser sweep angle. Any suggestions folks?

Anybody here with 2020 pilens feels like driving a knockoff version of the Austrian build? It’s $2000 less but 95% look a like. I haven’t seen the Austrian version in person but looking at the small things like on nuts and bolts, wirings, spacings on clamps, I can’t help  thinking about the saying “you get what you pay for” in terms of quality.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.