2019 Svartpilen 401 in Nottingham

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

I’d bought myself a 2016 Yam Tracer 700 in September, but decided I wasn’t getting on with it. That was part-exchanged for this 2019 Svartpilen, which seems much more fun. I’ve managed to miss the good weather, but I reckon it’ll be fine through autumn, as least.

Vanessa
    Participant

Nice bike! I have a similar story, had a Yamaha MT-07 and didn’t get on with it. Swapped it for a Svartpilen 401 (2019) and couldn’t be happier. I’m based in the Midlands too, but I’ve never seen another 401 locally. They’re rare for sure.

James
    Participant

Thanks Vanessa, I’m really pleased with it so far. You’re not wrong about them being rare. I’m not sure I’ve seen another in the wild. If I see one, I’ll give you a wave!

I’d ridden one at the NEC a few years ago & liked it, but was looking to replace my aging Fazer with somethign similar. After less than a month with the Tracer, I decided it was more of an adventure bike and not fit to inflate the Fazer’s tyres. So p/x for the Svartpilen and keep the Fazer for longer, high-speed runs.

James
    Participant

Out in the sun today…

Vanessa
    Participant

Awesome! I was out on mine today too, nice and sunny but very cold. We had the first frost this winter this morning. Thank goodness for heated grips!

James
    Participant

I’ve got a few add-ons ordered, but was dithering over the heated grips. I think it’s because it’s been a while & I’ve forgotten how unpleasant it is to have frozen fingers. I think you’ve persuaded me!

Vanessa
    Participant

I see your bike has hand guards, that will help a bit with windchill on the hands. I’ve fitted hand guards to my bike. In fact every bike I’ve owned I’ve fitted heated grips and hand guards. Coupled with my battery heated gloves, my hands stay warm and toasty even at motorway speeds in sub-zero temperatures.

Vanessa
    Participant

What other mods do you have planned?

James
    Participant

Gmail has decided to send all notifcations from here to junk, even though I keep telling it not to!

I got cheap handguards to give it a go, never had them before. I do have a couple of pairs of handlebar muffs, but I’d need to be very cold before adding those to this bike, they don’t exactly suit it. I’ve managed with just heated grips and decent gloves before.

Other than that, items on the way are a radiator grill, engine protectors for both sides, and a larger sidestand foot. I’ll maybe add engine bars as well.

Once I get a feel for how much muck is thrown around, I’ll probably add extenders to the front & rear mudguards.

I’m going to see about fashioning something to hold luggage on the pillion seat. The official rack is a bit expensive for occasional use, I’m thinking just some webbing loops under the seat that I can hook a bungee net onto.

If there was a comfy seat for these older models, I’d maybe consider it, though I’ll see how I go. I can probably get it modified with a gel insert, if needed.

That should do for starters, though I might be tempted by random things at the NEC next month.

Vanessa
    Participant

Ha, reading your mods list made me smile, I’ve done a lot of those mods to my bike. Including the radiator guard, engine guards, frame sliders, and side stand foot enlarger. I’ve also fitted the longer front mudguard from the 2020 model, and added a fender extender to it, and a rear hugger extension as well. They keep the bike much cleaner. I agree that handlebar muffs wouldn’t really suit the bike.

Yep, the seat is hard and uncomfortable, there’s no official or aftermarket comfort versions available either. Some folks on here have had their seats re-upholstered with more padding, but it’s never going to be a comfy long-distance bike.

I detailed a lot of my mods in a thread called “Vanessa’s Svartpilen”.

James
    Participant

That’s a lovely looking bike, Vanessa. I’m not sure I’m ready to change the front mudguard completely yet, I think I’ll get the extender and see how it goes.

Did you get the smoke screen? I agree that my Puig one isn’t very pretty, it’s not the one I would’ve chosen. After the double bubble on my Fazer, even this screen doesn’t give as much protection, but I’m not planning on doing motorway miles on this bike.

One other thing I’m not sure about is the handlebars. It almost feels like my wrists are twisting inwards, but I’m not sure if it’s because they’re a bit wider or straighter. I’ll give it a while, but might have to change those.

Vanessa
    Participant

Thanks, they are sweet little bikes, I love mine. Rode it today to work. It was zero degrees and I had to warm the lithium battery up, but it ran just fine. A bit cold, so lots of layers and heated gloves, but still awesome fun. My hubby met me at work on his 1250GS and we rode home cutting through the rush hour traffic together, much fun!

When I bought my bike the smoked screen wasn’t available, so I got the clear one. I recently swapped it for the smoked version as it does look much better. I was going to sell the clear one to someone on this forum, but my son damaged it while it was sitting on the kitchen table.

Yeah that Puig screen is a bit upright isn’t it. It does often seem that the cooler a screen looks, the less effective it is at speed. Maybe that Puig screen is good at deflecting the wind?

I don’t have any issues with the handlebars, but they are a bit wide. I do wish they were narrower to make filtering easier, but they do make it fun to hunker over when going for it in a turn.

James
    Participant

I’ve been out today for 5 hours with a couple of breaks for coffee & chips. I didn’t find the seat too bad after all, though I did buy some cheap padded cycling shorts to give a bit more comfort on longer rides.

The width of the bars doesn’t bother me, but they’re so close to straight. I found it’s OK on my wrists if I lean forward and bend my elbows, but I can’t do that all the time. When sat more upright, I’m twisting my wrist a bit, though it seemed easier after a while. Looking at Renthal bars, they call the distance the bars drop back from straight “sweep”. I think I need that to be longer, so the bars bend back more.

The screen did a good job most of the time, though I think I’d need to try without for a good comparison. I just wish it looked nicer!

The bike got pretty ditched (see photos) and I’ve decided the mudguards are close to useless. The rear is filthy on the outside and the front has sprayed up as far as the horn. I’ll get the extenders, but not sure they’ll do much. Looks like regular cleaning for me.

Sadly, my wife did her CBT and had a scooter for a short while, but didn’t take to it. She also won’t go on the back after saying I went too fast doing 50mph down a nice straight national speed limit country road with good visibility. My daughter likes going on the back, but isn’t up to long trips. Thankfully a mate at work has recently passed his test and wants to go out at every opportunity.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by James.
    James
    Participant

Nice ride on a mild autumn day.

James
    Participant

Needs a clean…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.