2018 Svartpilen 401 sat for a year – how to get it back up and running?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all —

I bought my first bike, a 2018 Svartpilen 401, 16 months ago. Unfortunately, I let it sit for about the past year in a garage. I last started it up (but didn’t go for a ride) about 6 months ago.

The battery is obviously dead by now, but as I was researching, I realized there’s a lot more that I’ll need to fix (especially draining the gas).

Anyone have good resources on what to do? Has anyone drained gas out of their Svartpilen? I didn’t find anything in the owners manual on draining gas. I’d like to do everything myself but also want to make sure it’s done appropriately.

Thanks for the help!

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Syphon the gas out through the cap, fill up with one or two gallons fresh fuel, charge the battery and press the starter button. Odds are it just fires up.

If it does spoil the bike to some fresh oil after the first ride, when it still warm. Or better yet, have the brake fluid flushed, check the coolant…. Give the whole bike a good look over.

Participant

Thanks for the input!

Tried charging the battery with a Schumacher 3A charger/maintainer but it didn’t work. It would go from, “Charging – 0%” to “Charging – 80%” to “Charging aborted – bad battery”.

So I took it out of the bike and brought the battery to auto-zone to see if they could charge it. Hoping it was the charger, not the battery or anything else to do with the bike.

If I do need to buy a new battery, any thoughts on Lithium Ion vs. AGM? (if relevant, I live in a warmer climate)

Participant

TBH assuming that battery charged, or due a jump pack it should just start, and if you are leaving anything for long time standing with no use make sure you have super or Power fuel in it.

Participant

Quick update — replaced the battery and it started right up again!

Thanks for the help. Strange the stock battery wouldn’t take a charge after dying though.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Why is it strange? Lead-acid batteries hate being completely discharged, it damages them, often beyond recovery.

Participant

Interesting, didn’t know that. I also didn’t realize it’s a lead acid battery — I had found a post that said the stock battery is Lithium Ion, I guess not though.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Yep, definitely a lead acid type. I’ve just replaced the stock battery in my Svartpilen 401 for a smaller lighter lithium battery. They are not cheap though.

Good news your bike is running again though.

Participant

Hi, which make/model did you get? Assume it is lighter too.

Thanks in advance.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I went for Anti-Gravity Lithium battery. I chose the smaller style without any of the additional protection and monitoring circuitry. I went with one that had similar but just a bit higher CCA rating. There’s a post on this site about it somewhere.

Participant

I parked a Honda VF 1000 R behind the couch in the living room ( 1 year) asked the wife to start it up once a week came back she accomplished everything I asked bike ran great

Participant

you’re better off not starting at all, because this way the engine never gets warmed up and accumulates moist in the engine and creates wear (always a cold running engine).

better is to add a fuel stabiliser and disconnect the battery and/or add a trickle charger.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.