Reply To: without airfilter cover / who did that?

QwandreeQwandree

So I reached out to a Coober tech about their airbox lid. Here is the email conversation.

email 1 (from me)

Hi again Brani.

Previously in this email chain you recommended to not remove or drill the airbox lid on the vitpilen 701 as it will damage the engine.

But I see you are selling a drilled unit here:

http://www.coober.eu/?115,701- vitpilen-airbox-filter

Has something changed or do you still recommend not going this route?

email 1 reply (from coober)

It was very problematic for us to explain it to the people that this is high risk mod.  So many of them see youtube things and try it, so after talk to ktm w decide to release this, to protect the engine as much as we can.

So we rebuild the ECU to spray more fuel to protect the engine to make them happy. We have not seen any power gain but the ecu takes now care of leaning out the engine.

For reliability you should stay with the ecu only.

Best regards,

brani

email 2

Hi thank you for getting back to me.

I am a little confused. You are saying your airbox lib mod is safe to use with your ECU and it’s fueling adjustments, or you are saying it’s just not safe at all?

And are you also saying that from your testing you learned the drilled airbox lid does not provide any performance gain?

email 2 reply (coober response with >>>)

I am a little confused. You are saying your airbox lib mod is safe to use with your ECU and it’s fueling adjustments, or you are saying it’s just not safe at all?

>>> We do not recommend to use open lid setup, it forces the original ecu and our ecu to spray more fuel and take we can not run a stable timing map.

And are you also saying that from your testing you learned the drilled airbox lid does not provide any performance gain?

>>> On our setup with open lid we have not seen any performance difference that would let you feel it, the whole setup is focusing on protection and fueling.  It was almost impossible to explain this to the people, this is why we come out with this setup.

email 3

Thanks again. And just to clarify, when you refer to open lid in your response it means no lid at all and also a lid with holes like your unit?

email 3 reply

Open lid means both, (any kind of so called false air, removing lid and drilled holes. We are using the foam filter from ktm on our lid version.)

It is interesting on 701 with the small “cube” based airbox, the air gets huge problems to travel proper way to the engine,  on the same engine on 701 supermoto the air travels very smooth.